“A Hole in the World” (ANGEL 5.15) Trivia:
“Originally it was intended for Rupert Giles to appear in “A Hole in the World” and make it clear that there was no way to save Fred. After Anthony Stewart Head was unavailable, Drogyn and his inability to lie were created.”
BUFFYVERSE Thought: I love how Anya’s hair in BUFFY and Cordelia’s in ANGEL both change to reflect their current mental state.
Anya’s typically got lighter as she became more ‘human’, then reverted back to dark when she became a vengeance demon, and finally became lighter again before the BUFFY finale.
Cordelia’s was sort of all over the place in the beginning of ANGEL (again representing her mental state at that time), but she became a higher being as a blonde. Her hair then became gradually darker as we slowly realized she was possessed by Jasmine.
Buffyverse Trivia: ANGEL Edition
1. Morena Baccarin, who played Inara in Firefly, was originally supposed to play Eve in season 5. However, FOX would not allow it due to her involvement in another television show at the time. Other Firefly alums on ANGEL include Summer Glau, Adam Baldwin, Gina Torres, and others.
2. Charisma Carpenter’s pregnancy in real life was a contributing factor to the controversial storyline Cordelia is involved with throughout season 4 (and her subsequent removal from the show).
3. Before Glenn Quinn’s death, Joss Whedon discussed plans for Doyle to return to the show as one of the season’s ‘big bads’.
4. Sarah Michelle Gellar was offered the chance to reprise her role as Buffy Summers for two episodes in season five (“You’re Welcome” and “The Girl in Question”) but was unavailable due to a death in her family and filming conflicts.
5. Joss Whedon himself appeared as the character Numfar in the final story arc of season 2.
6. Darla has died more than any other Buffyverse character: (1) in flashbacks to when she was sired by The Master, (2) when Angel dusted her in the Buffy episode “Angel”, (3) when she was re-sired by Drusilla, and (4) when she dusted herself so that Connor could be born. She is also one of very few vampires to have a soul for any period of time.
7. Joss Whedon originally intended for Fred and Illyria to be split in two had Angel recieved a sixth season.
8. In the original script for “The Girl in Question”, Dawn was supposed to appear in Buffy’s Rome apartment to welcome Angel and Spike. Due to other projects, Michelle Trachtenberg wasn’t available, so the part was given to Andrew instead.
9. On multiple occasions, Julia Lee, who played Joan/Chantarelle/Lily/Anne on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, reprised her role on Angel as Anne Steele, a woman who took in homeless teenagers. Her story arc is more in depth than you might think.
10. Several instances in season 5 hint at events that lead up to Buffy Season Eight:
- In “Damage”, a new slayer is awoken due to the events of “Chosen” (the Buffy finale). In the same episode, Andrew Wells (now a watcher in training) and a group of newly-awoken slayers from the Slayer Army also make appearances.
- In “Lineage”, Wesley’s ‘father’ references the watcher’s council being blown up in the final season of BUFFY.
- In “The Girl in Question”, Angel and Spike THINK they see Buffy in Rome, but it is later revealed in Season Eight that the girl they saw was actually a look-a-like decoy for Buffy.
BUFFY/ANGEL Thought: Since Season 7 of BUFFY and Season 4 of ANGEL take place at the same time, can you imagine if The First Evil and Jasmine had both been successful?
There would be ‘world peace’ thanks to Jasmine, and then The First Evil would release its ubervamps to reak havoc. OR The First Evil might cease to exist altogether if it truly is the embodiment of evil in people’s hearts (Jasmine would effectively remove ‘evil’ through her mind control).
POLL: In your opinion, who is the most ‘powerful’ character in the Buffyverse?
(Keeping in mind that power can be judged in many ways)
One of the biggest differences between BUFFY and ANGEL-
In BUFFY, most of the Scooby Gang members sort of stumbled into the battle against evil. Buffy was a mostly normal girl chosen seemingly at random to be the slayer (among a group of potentials), and Xander and Willow were also mostly normal people who just tagged along at first. However, Giles had been involved with the supernatural most of his life.
In ANGEL, the Angel Investigations team members were all ‘broken’ people from the beginning who were drawn together by traumatic experiences from their pasts. For example: Angel realized his relationship with Buffy was doomed, Cordelia went broke and thought God was punishing her, Wesley was fired from The Watchers Council after failing to teach two slayers, Gunn staked his vampire sister, Fred was trapped in a hell dimension for 5 years, and Lorne grew up in the very hell dimension Fred was in.