10 BADASS FEMALE SCREENWRITERS YOU SHOULD KNOW
1. NORA EPHRON
Known For: Sleepless in Seattle, You’ve Got Mail, When Harry Met Sally
2. JANE ESPENSON
Known For: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica, Once Upon a Time
3. JENJI KOHAN
Known For: Orange is the New Black, Weeds
4. DIABLO CODY
Known For: Juno, United States of Tara, Jennifer’s Body
5. TINA FEY
Known For: 30 Rock, Mean Girls, Saturday Night Live
6. SHONDA RHIMES
Known For: Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice
7. LANA WACHOWSKI
Known For: The Matrix, V for Vendetta, Cloud Atlas
8. SOPHIA COPPOLA
Known For: Lost in Translation, Somewhere, The Virgin Suicides
9. LENA DUNHAM
Known For: Girls, Tiny Furniture
10. JENNIFER LEE
Known For: Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph
This BUFFY marathon on SyFy is making me wonder why the network doesn’t air the show daily.
BUFFY marathon on SyFy today. Of course I tuned in when Willow is in the hospital at the end of season 2.
Working through EW’s ‘Top 26 Best Cult TV Shows’ List
1. Dr. Who
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Grade: A+)
Arrested Development (Grade: A-)
4. Mystery Science Theater 3000
5. The X-Files
6. The Wire
7. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
8. Star Trek: The Next Generation
The Comeback (Grade: B)
10. My So-Called Life
Lost (Grade: B+)
Firefly (Grade: B)*
13. Twin Peaks
Veronica Mars (Grade: A)
15. Battlestar Galactica
Community (Grade: A-)**
Fringe (Grade: B+)
19. Wonder Showzen
Supernatural (Grade: B+)**
Party Down (Grade: B)
24. Better Off Ted
26. Pushing Daisies
* A- when combined with Serenity
** Overall grade pending show completion.
"A Hole in the World" (ANGEL 5.15) Trivia:
"Originally it was intended for Rupert Giles to appear in "A Hole in the World" and make it clear that there was no way to save Fred. After Anthony Stewart Head was unavailable, Drogyn and his inability to lie were created."
BUFFYVERSE Thought: I love how Anya’s hair in BUFFY and Cordelia’s in ANGEL both change to reflect their current mental state.
Anya’s typically got lighter as she became more ‘human’, then reverted back to dark when she became a vengeance demon, and finally became lighter again before the BUFFY finale.
Cordelia’s was sort of all over the place in the beginning of ANGEL (again representing her mental state at that time), but she became a higher being as a blonde. Her hair then became gradually darker as we slowly realized she was possessed by Jasmine.
Buffyverse Trivia: ANGEL Edition
1. Morena Baccarin, who played Inara in Firefly, was originally supposed to play Eve in season 5. However, FOX would not allow it due to her involvement in another television show at the time. Other Firefly alums on ANGEL include Summer Glau, Adam Baldwin, Gina Torres, and others.
2. Charisma Carpenter’s pregnancy in real life was a contributing factor to the controversial storyline Cordelia is involved with throughout season 4 (and her subsequent removal from the show).
3. Before Glenn Quinn’s death, Joss Whedon discussed plans for Doyle to return to the show as one of the season’s ‘big bads’.
4. Sarah Michelle Gellar was offered the chance to reprise her role as Buffy Summers for two episodes in season five (“You’re Welcome” and “The Girl in Question”) but was unavailable due to a death in her family and filming conflicts.
5. Joss Whedon himself appeared as the character Numfar in the final story arc of season 2.
6. Darla has died more than any other Buffyverse character: (1) in flashbacks to when she was sired by The Master, (2) when Angel dusted her in the Buffy episode “Angel”, (3) when she was re-sired by Drusilla, and (4) when she dusted herself so that Connor could be born. She is also one of very few vampires to have a soul for any period of time.
7. Joss Whedon originally intended for Fred and Illyria to be split in two had Angel recieved a sixth season.
8. In the original script for “The Girl in Question”, Dawn was supposed to appear in Buffy’s Rome apartment to welcome Angel and Spike. Due to other projects, Michelle Trachtenberg wasn’t available, so the part was given to Andrew instead.
9. On multiple occasions, Julia Lee, who played Joan/Chantarelle/Lily/Anne on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, reprised her role on Angel as Anne Steele, a woman who took in homeless teenagers. Her story arc is more in depth than you might think.
10. Several instances in season 5 hint at events that lead up to Buffy Season Eight:
- In “Damage”, a new slayer is awoken due to the events of “Chosen” (the Buffy finale). In the same episode, Andrew Wells (now a watcher in training) and a group of newly-awoken slayers from the Slayer Army also make appearances.
- In “Lineage”, Wesley’s ‘father’ references the watcher’s council being blown up in the final season of BUFFY.
- In “The Girl in Question”, Angel and Spike THINK they see Buffy in Rome, but it is later revealed in Season Eight that the girl they saw was actually a look-a-like decoy for Buffy.